The California Energy Commission
The Warren‐Alquist Act established the California Energy Commission in 1975. As the state’s primary energy policy and planning agency, the Energy Commission is committed to reducing energy costs, curtailing greenhouse gas emissions, and ensuring a safe, resilient, and reliable supply of energy.
Visit energy.ca.gov to learn how California has remained at the forefront of clean energy leadership thanks to advancements in clean energy policy, energy efficiency, renewable energy development and investment in energy and transportation innovation.
From the infinite scale of the universe to the infinitesimal scale of subatomic particles, researchers at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory – Berkeley Lab – are advancing the scope of human knowledge and seeking science solutions to some of the greatest problems facing humankind. Scientific excellence and an unparalleled record of achievement have been the hallmarks of this Laboratory since it was founded in 1931.
- Solve the most pressing and profound scientific problems facing mankind
- Conduct basic research for a secure energy future
- Understand living systems to improve the environment, health, and energy supply
- Understand matter and energy in the universe
- Build and safely operate leading scientific facilities for the nation
- Train the next generation of scientists and engineers
Located on a 202-acre site in the hills above the UC Berkeley campus with spectacular views of the San Francisco Bay, Berkeley Lab is a multiprogram science lab in the national laboratory system supported by the U.S. Department of Energy through its Office of Science. It is managed by the University of California and is charged with conducting unclassified research across a wide range of scientific disciplines. Technologies developed at Berkeley Lab have generated billions of dollars in revenues and thousands of jobs. Savings as a result of Berkeley Lab developments in energy-efficient technologies – from cool roofs to window coatings to appliances – have also been in the billions of dollars.
Berkeley Lab was founded by Ernest Orlando Lawrence, a UC Berkeley physicist who won the 1939 Nobel Prize in physics for his invention of the cyclotron, a circular particle accelerator that opened the door to high-energy physics. It was Lawrence’s belief that scientific research is best done through teams of individuals with different fields of expertise, working together. His “team science” concept is a Berkeley Lab legacy; today, a deep commitment to inclusion and diversity brings perspectives that inspire innovative solutions.
The California State University promotes student success through opportunity and a high-quality education that prepares students to become leaders in the changing workforce. Educating approximately 481,000 students and employing nearly 53,000 faculty and staff, the CSU is a vital economic engine for California and leader in impactful research.
- To advance and extend knowledge, learning, and culture, especially throughout California.
- To provide opportunities for individuals to develop intellectually, personally, and professionally.
- To prepare significant numbers of educated, responsible people to contribute to California’s schools, economy, culture, and future.
- To encourage and provide access to an excellent education to all who are prepared for and wish to participate in collegiate study.
- To offer undergraduate and graduate instruction leading to bachelor’s and higher degrees in the liberal arts and sciences, the applied fields, and the professions, including the doctoral degree when authorized.
- To prepare students for international, multi-cultural society.
- To provide public services that enrich the university and its communities.
Ecomedes helps project teams save time and money by helping them find, analyze and document high performance sustainable products for their projects. Better products reduce building operating costs and impact—and now they are easier to find and purchase.
The ecomedes platform automates over 90% of the time and effort currently required for green building certifications.
- Largest curated product database
- Automated Data Mapping, Analysis and ROI Calculators
- Streamlined reporting for green building certifications
Mission: Create large-scale environmental impacts through market-based solutions.
The market economy can be a powerful force to deliver energy, carbon and water-use savings. Energy Solutions harnesses that power to offer proven, performance-based solutions for its utility, government, and institutional customers. ES does this by targeting the best new technologies, working with key partners in the supply chain for seamless adoption, and then helping governments and market partners set rules that require people to use these beneficial technologies.
- Program Design & Management
- Market Development & Transformation
- Trade Alliances
- Data Analytics & Reporting
- Process Automation
- Engineering & Technical Evaluation
- Policy & Market Research
- Energy Efficiency
- Demand Management
- Codes and Standards
- Distributed Energy Resources
- Clean Transportation
QMerit has partnered with Avendra to develop ProQure, the industry’s first Group Purchasing Organization (GPO) to aggregate the purchasing volume of all HVAC, Electrical and Plumbing
contractors in the U.S. to maximize the supplier discounts you receive on parts and equipment while increasing OEM and supplier rebates.
ProspectSV is a nonprofit cleantech innovation hub that focuses on advanced mobility and energy solutions for urban communities. By collaborating with key public and private partners and providing resources for entrepreneurs in the field, ProspectSV is working to improve urban sustainability.
Mission: To accelerate the adoption of cleantech innovations for sustainable, smarter communities
Around the world, technology is being applied in new, exciting ways to address challenges that communities face every day. Whether it’s new approaches to transportation, the efficiency of our built environment, or access to renewable energy, delivering new technology solutions takes a team of innovators, investment and social leadership. Prospect Silicon Valley is advancing the field of urbantech by developing a network to solve the significant challenges and pressures our cities face; helping the public sector, startups and corporations build and prove new solutions for the essential foundation of our cities — transportation & mobility, energy & buildings.
Center for the Built Environment
Mission: To improve the environmental quality and energy efficiency of buildings by providing timely, unbiased information on building technologies, design and operation strategies.
The Center for the Built Environment (CBE) is a place where prominent industry leaders and internationally recognized researchers cooperate to produce substantial, holistic, and far-sighted research on buildings. Its research team has developed new ways to “take the pulse” of buildings in operation: measuring the occupants’ responses to their indoor environments, and linking them to improved physical measurements of indoor environmental quality. CBE researchers also study technologies that hold promise for making buildings more environmentally friendly, more productive to work in, and more economical to operate.
Additionally, staff at CBE have pioneered new tools and methods to study buildings in operation, and to assess the effects of design and operational strategies on energy use, comfort and productivity. These approaches include a web-based occupant survey toolkit, and online tools that allow professionals, researchers and students to investigate building science questions.
The Energy and Efficiency Institute (EEI) at UC Davis is a leading university institution advancing impactful energy and energy efficiency solutions, addressing critical energy challenges, and improving energy use through research, education, and engagement. The EEI is home to innovative research centers and programs in buildings, transportation, water, and agriculture & food production; has more than 45 affiliated faculty; and hosts an interdisciplinary graduate program in energy systems. The Energy and Efficiency Institute collaborated with the following entities to develop the Product Evaluation Hub: the Western Cooling Efficiency Center; the California Lighting Technology Center; the Energy Storage Lab; Russell Ranch; and Facilities Energy and Engineering.
To accelerate the development and commercialization of sustainable energy solutions.
- Empower researchers to accelerate innovation.
- Generate impact through partnerships.
- Spark action through education.
- Extend the Institute’s reach globally.
- Energy efficiency is at the core of what we do.
- The evolving energy system needs integrated solutions.
- Innovation matters most when it is adopted at scale.
- Realizing change requires a comprehensive approach to education.
ZNE Alliance is a 501 c3 not-for-profit organization whose projects span the silos of energy services, the built environment, and sustainable mobility. ZNE Alliance builds partner networks to implement clean energy projects, design programs, scale solutions, and create sustainable impact.
Planning & Strategy
Just as technical and economic feasibility stall projects, so do barriers with sourcing, procurement, and quality assurance. ZNE Alliance is working on solutions that overcome each of these barriers at the organization and community scale.
- Strategic Plans
- EV Readiness Blueprints
- Market Strategy
- Business Development
Grant Funding & Administration
Federal, state, and local governments, in concert with the private sector, are investing in clean energy and sustainable transportation at an unprecedented scale. ZNE Alliance’s partners gain a decisive advantage in project identification, development, and funding.
- Grant-writing, strategy, and project management
- Administration, incentives, and procurement
- Private sector match and financing
Public Private Partnerships
ZNE Alliance teamster create shovel-ready projects in clean energy and electric mobility – promoting equity and making public goods profitable.
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Coalition Building
- Public Sector Engagement
- Project Siting
Go To Market Strategy
ZNE Alliance’s channel strategy efforts provided through System Z accelerates its clients’ product development cycle, making inroads to sales, and market adoption.
- Partnerships with Investor-Owned Utilities, Community Choice Aggregators, and other Load Serving Entities
- Procurement efforts with universities and other institutional buyers